Remote / hybrid with occasional visits on client site
Salary up to £70,000
We primarily write and deliver custom software for the public sector. We work across central and local government, as well as in health, and our past lies in the technology startup world. Technical excellence for us isn’t about delivering to feature lists. We place a strong emphasis on outcome-based delivery; ensuring our customer’s goals are understood and achieved with the technology we deploy.
Senior Software Engineers find themselves working on a variety of different problems from monoliths to microservices, upskilling colleagues and customers, always finding themselves learning from others, while constantly striving to be nice humans :)
Our teams have used Java, Scala, Ruby, Python, ES6 with React, as well as C# with .NET Core. We don’t limit ourselves as a company and we expect all our Engineers to be keen on learning new technologies. Automation is important to our teams, so we make sure there is a CD pipeline set up to build, test, and release many times per day.
High performing software delivery teams need to be empowered to iteratively and rapidly deliver changes all the way through to production. To do this we combine our extensive cloud automation knowledge with DevOps culture.
We ensure we document our architecture and infrastructure as code, using technologies such as Terraform and OpenAPI. Containerisation is a big part of empowering our teams to develop, deploy and scale their applications, but so too is using AWS Lambda and avoiding the complexity of stateful services altogether. Right tool for the job.
We grow a team of language agnostic engineers, which you might already consider yourself to be, who are versed in a mix of paradigms such as object-oriented, functional, declarative, event-based and aspect-oriented. To create this environment our Senior Software Engineers need to embrace sharing their knowledge and skills with others, and they need to keep an open mind – we’d love to hear some examples of mentoring, coaching and growing team members. Maybe you will have written some blog posts about your discipline, or perhaps even delivered a talk or two.
Location: Bristol, London, Manchester or within reasonable distance from those hubs
What experience are we looking for?
We want our teams and individuals to grow. If you don’t have the following skills, you will have access to a learning budget, experienced team members and a wider learning and mentoring culture that can help you develop the following
- Written code with tests
- Delivery in an agile environment
- Worked across a variety of programming languages
- Worked with databases
- Worked with APIs
- Debugging experience in a range of systems
- Evidence of self-development – we value keen learners
- Drive to deliver outcomes for users
- Desire to mentor others
Nice to Haves
- Consultancy experience
- Working directly with customers and users
- Working within multidisciplinary teams with product, design, and technology working within the same cycles
- Showcasing and presentation skills
- Agile practices such as Scrum, XP, and/or Kanban
- Pair programming – we pair around 50% of the time
- Writing code with test-driven development
- Component-based design techniques such as using pattern libraries, styled-components, CSS-in-JS, BEM, and/or SUIT CSS
- Debugging infrastructure
- The React ecosystem including a test-driven approach
- Infrastructure as code technology like Terraform and Cloud Formation
- Familiarity with architectural and design patterns
- Use of architectural decision records
Here are some of our most popular benefits listed below:
👩💻 Remote Working
More information can be found here