Life at Tractable
Who are we?
The world's first computer vision unicorn ($1 Billion valued company) for financial services. Our mission is to use the latest breakthroughs in AI to solve real world problems and improve people's lives across the world. We put a car expert in people's pocket so when you get into an accident, a few photos with your smartphone is all you need to get back to normal faster. This year our AI is also helping families recover faster after their homes have been destroyed by natural disasters. We've accelerated accident recovery for over a million households, and helped recycle about as many cars as Tesla put on the road in 2019.
On top of that, we’ve got a best in class working culture focused around autonomy, collaboration, continuous learning, flexible working and more. In fact, we are a Certified 'Great Place to Work 2021' and rated 5/5 on Glassdoor due to our enjoyable and vibrant working culture and laser sharp focus on employee well-being.
The project you will be working on:
You will be joining our talented new team creating our AI Inspection function. In this team we build tools to empower individuals and companies to inspect and assess the condition of their vehicles enabling them to make better decisions faster. Our powerful AI is able to figure out the nature and amount of damage present by visually analysing the submitted photos and video. It enables full automation of traditionally manual tasks involved in a number of use cases and industries. One such use-case is in rental or lease hire vehicles that need to be inspected at the beginning and end of their terms to monitor any damage that has been incurred, reducing the friction in vehicle handovers and allowing leasing companies to better plan for any actions needed to maintain their fleet. The applications we build in this team will enable that capability to be deployed to the real world, reducing the overhead of assessing the condition of vehicles at exchange and inspiring confidence in our users, through great UX and transparency.
You will be:
- Working in a cross-functional team supporting the design and development of our bleeding edge platform that will serve a vast industry, playing a pivotal role in the future direction of our product
- Working closely with our Product Manager and Product Designer to understand customer needs and be involved in the design of new features
- Owning major projects from inception to delivery
- Being part of a brand new team and product - meaning huge scope and autonomy to drive direction and mentor/lead future Engineers who join the team
- Introducing new processes and best practices to the team to help push us forward
- Mentoring more junior members of the team
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies below. We require a front end leaning developer or someone who is currently working as a front end developer who has an interest in becoming full stack at some point.
- React for frontend development
- Node.js with Typescript
- PostgreSQL for persistent data storage
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services
- Jenkins to run our testing and deployment pipelines
- AWS for our infrastructure
What we’re looking for…
- Strong skills working across the stack with a stronger focus on frontend
- Strong ownership and self-drive from the first line of code to the impact on the end user. If you like autonomy and being in the driver’s seat, we would love to have you in our team!
- A strong product mindset- this is crucial for us. You have worked closely with product teams in the past and and have an appetite to understand customers and their needs
- Strong architectural skills and ability to discuss the merits and trade-offs of using any particular design approach and technologies
- Demonstrable experience driving best practices or new processes across a team and helping teams improve
- Strong communication skills to adapt well to our highly collaborative environment
- Competitive salary
- 6 month salary reviews
- Visa sponsorship (if required)
- Pension scheme
- Bupa private healthcare (full coverage)
- Flexible hours & 3 days WFH per week
- Learning and Development budget
- Learnably Access
- Competitive maternity + paternity leave
- Daily office snacks & soft drinks
- Regular company office events such as Games Nights, Movie Nights, Lunch & Learns, Monthly Brunch and more
Voluntary attendance in the office until April 2022 minimum due to COVID-19. Ordinarily based in Old Street, London
Stability during COVID-19:
We've made no furloughs and no redundancies during the pandemic. We've been doing well as a business during this period and have hired over 70 people during the pandemic across different areas of the business, with additional roles currently still open. As such, we can offer you a lot of confidence around career stability during this uncertain time.